Friday 23 March 2018

Insurance, a bit of a rant....


Ok so three years ago Lynne and I had an idea to sail across the Atlantic Ocean. At the time we were happily insured with insurance company A, with whom we had a small claim which was swiftly and efficiently dealt with. Unfortunately this particular insurance company was not in a position to insure us south and west of the Canary Islands so we moved to insurance company B, they were happy to insure myself and Lynne as sole crew anywhere from 40 degrees North to South (that's Nantucket to Montevideo) in the north and South Atlantic Oceans. The premium increased south of our European waters (Gibralter ) as did the Excess, but we could live with that.
Two years later.............after 4 years without a claim insurance company B increased our premium to sail to the Canaries to over £500 and our excess was £1000. they also would not cover us any further south or west than the Canaries, claiming that the underwriters would not insure any vessel with a smaller value than £60,000 for an Atlantic crossing. That includes us.
We had a bit of a rethink and got back to insurance company A, "Yes we remember you, Canaries to Eastern Mediterranean, £350, with a £250 excess, of course you can live aboard and cover is continuous for 12 months, if you wish to fly home we will insist that the boat is left in a marina............as if we wouldn't?
Guess who we have just renewed our insurance with?
So you will not be surprised to discover we are heading towards Greece, possibly wintering in Malta for a major re-fit.
Whatever is going on with insurance companies?  I'm guessing that its smart young men with computers and their risk averse algorithms. See young drivers as an example, the same logic does not apply to boats, smaller is not necessarily higher risk, in fact bigger boats with smaller crews are in my opinion at greater risk, particularly certain modern designs of GRP yacht (Cheeky Rafiki ) for example. Seaworthiness does not equate to value, insurance underwriters would possibly disagree but luckily I don't sail with them.
So it boils down to this........
scenario 1
Hi there, I would like to sail to the Caribbean in my 35 ft very seaworthy steel yacht worth about £50,000. It is equipped with every safety consideration , life raft, EPIB , Satellite phone, redundant systems, etc. and my wife and I have already done this before and I am a commercial yachtmaster.
Sorry.......................
Scenario 2
Ok I have a 12 year old Jeaneu 45 worth around £65,000 , suffering from osmosis and a leaking stern gland and I have just bought this boat after selling my business...... I will pick up crew in Las Palmas on the basis of whether or not I like their faces........welcome aboard.

Ok Insurance company's this is the real world, if I have  a small, income I buy a small yacht, if I buy a small yacht I can afford to maintain it to a good standard and can repair it on the same basis.
If you force me to buy a more expensive yacht because of your policy of having a minimum value my upkeep and maintenance schedule may well become more lax, from here there are two scenarios, one the yacht doesn't move, so you win, or two, the yacht does move and there is a good possibility you will need to pay out, so you lose.
I realise all this is a bit subjective but insurance company A have been consistent throughout whereas insurance company B seem to be at the whim of the underwriters, which is only to the detriment of all long distance sailors.

No comments:

Post a Comment