Monday 4 September 2017

Back to Cangas (eventually)




The decorating in the dining room of our small house had been suspended on Alex`s 18th birthday. it seemed about time to finish it off so as I was waiting to have a scan on my knee Alex and Colin helped to strip the walls and I papered and painted as Alex worked in the Brewery bar. The end result was quite pleasing as we used Alexs many musical instruments as a bit of a feature.


I had my MRI scan and x-rays and after I had explained my circumstances the staff at the hospital gave me the earliest possible appointment with Mr Sheperd my consultant.


I can certainly recommend Euxton Hall Hospital, its set in lovely grounds and even has a free car park.
Unfortunately I didn't take photos of the MRI scan of my knee as I was listening very closely to Mr Sheperd as he explained that the rather lovely bone and bearing surfaces of the outside of my knee were really outstanding with a good thickness of cartilage however the inner surfaces that had previously been operated on looked like a dog had chewed them. Technically, arthritis was significant and very obvious on the scan. This was not all bad news. Although there was indeed a small tear in the meniscus ( cartilage ) it was not worth operating on. In the future, I was looking at a partial or complete replacement of my knee joint some years hence. Mr Sheperd explained the risks of an operation and the probable recovery time and we agreed that it made sense to wait until the on \off nature of my joint pain became more on than off before proceeding, I was already making a mental passage plan to the Canaries!
After a last evening with my son enjoying a good Curry in our local restaurant and a few beers it was time to return to Dark tarn and Lynne.


My sister very kindly gave me a lift to the airport and given the added security measures I quickly got through check in, I did however get to the airport early. As we boarded the plane it became apparent that other people had been held up as from a fully booked flight there were 20 empty seats. I had booked a window seat and my neighbours quickly spread out and occupied several empty seats so I had lots of room to stretch out.


As we flew over Liverpool and the Mersey, I had a good view of our home river, the Ribble in the distance, the starting point of our voyage three years ago.


A few hours later we skirted Vigo and did a leisurely circle around to the south of Porto to line up for a landing. It seemed that an air race course had been set up in the river Douro. I had a couple of hours to kill in the airport before the bus to Vigo so grabbed a coffee and phoned Lynne. a couple of hours later I was getting a taxi from Vigo bus station to the ferry terminal. I managed to get an early ferry so that Lynne had to break away from her social commitments and run to the ferry terminal to meet me, she didn't quite make it and we met on the ferry pier, both out of breath , Lynne due to running and me due to the heavy case I was carrying. It was good to be back.........


Lynne wasted no time taking me to the main stage, it was after all festa time! I was introduced to John and Lynda who became very good friends over the next few days.


As John and Lynda had a car they kindly drove us out one night to a little restaurant near Beue.


It was a sort of "pick and mix " for crustaceans..............peaceful little port and seemingly a very local spot.


A lovely couple and really great company during Fiesta time.....
Unfortunately they had to leave for some peace and quiet in
their beautiful Tradewind 33 `Ambler of Arne`


We will meet again......

No comments:

Post a Comment