Saturday 19 November 2016

Birthdays again


First job obviously was a haircut, my mid life crisis rebellion was over and I was getting heartily fed up with eating my own hair. I will always be a hippy at heart but the hair would have to remain a memory. I wandered along the seafront at Cangas with my passport in hand found a pelequeria and in halting Spanish asked for a haircut "like that". Ten minutes later and this is the result.



I think its an improvement anyway. Next job was my birthday for which I decided would start with chocolate and churros. if you havnt had this indulgent treat before it consists of fried doughnut type star shaped strips (churros) and a cup of chocolate, this isn't a chocolate flavoured drink its actually chocolate melted in milk and is absolutely delicious.


We indulged in a late lunch at a local restaurant, Evoque, which is situated along the extended quay which leads out towards the main beach. we had a menu de dia on the terrace which has outstanding views out towards the bay and Vigo beyond.


 All in all ,very pleasant......


We later walked back along the tree lined front watching some locals playing a strange game.


I later discovered this is known as " A Chave" . Its a traditional Galician game where the object is to throw some heavy metal disks (pellos) at a target known as a Chave which has two spinning arms. I later discovered that the shape is regional too, some Chaves are spear shaped.


The ones here in Cangas have two spinning arms and the sound of the metal disks hitting the target was the thing which attracted us to the playing area by the fish dock to investigate the musical clanging!

Later I achieved another culinary first by eating roast chestnuts. I have no idea how I have managed to live so long without eating these delicious hot nuts.......very popular in this part of Spain all year round you can buy them by the kilo in every supermarket or grocery. In the square the local children were in fancy dress to celebrate Halloween.


The celebrations where very enjoyable particularly the hoola hoop lessons, learning to hoola has now made it onto my bucket list! This list has prompted my birthday present to myself too, a set of lock picks, I have now picked every padlock on the boat bar one, which was immediately promoted to protecting the outboard!



We are still receiving visits from our neighbours on the two Irish boats and we all got together for a lunch at El Bribon In the photo below Maureen and Bob are foremost and Megan and Jim are behind us along with their guest from home Leslie.

Bob and Maureen later took advantage of the fuel berth at Cangas to top up the fuel tanks on Modus Vivende as there was no fuel available at their marina in the beautifully sheltered reaches of St Adrian.


The fuel berth is located on the end of the harbour wall enclosing the small harbour where the marina
is placed. Modus Vivendi is a rather nice Oyster ketch.


The harbour wall is also the work area for the local women who mend the fisherman's nets. Again a skill I would like to aquire, I know its just one knot but I also know its not as easy as these ladies make it look.


No comments:

Post a Comment