Saturday 9 July 2016

Flat calm


For once we awoke to no swell, the surface of the sea was like a mirror of course there was also a total absence of wind. As I sat drinking my morning coffee I noticed one of the small fishing boats from the marina being towed back.


This turned out to be a fairly common occurrence.
I wandered into town as I had ordered some medicated shampoo from the farmasia and I needed to pick it up. I noticed that a market was set up along the Main Street from church to harbour.


 I texted Lynne ( she loves markets ), she immediately texted back that she was locked in! Luckily it is only a ten minute walk from the marina so we were quickly reunited and on out way back into town to browse the market stalls.


Lynne then showed me the smallest chapel we have seen, it is by the old fish harbour.


A quick look inside reveals an alter and candlesticks however there isn't really room for a congregation.


Later that day we visited the maritime museum which proved to be something of a bargain for just over a couple of euros each.


There are lots of interesting displays including a special exhibition about Christopher Columbus. 


There were also some fascinating exhibits of sea creatures.


As we walked back through town I was interested in some of the buildings, it's fairly common in Asturia to tile the outside of buildings.


I think it makes for a very colourful facade.


The beach was filling up as the sun became very hot, so hot in fact that Lynne was doing a naked chef impression aboard Dark Tarn.


After a few small boats were towed back into the marina a rather larger one was brought on by the lifeboat.


I had seen a model of this particular lifeboat in the maritime museum. So I happen to know it's an Atlantic class.
We had decided to use the last of the easterly winds to make some distance west so planned on an early start in the morning, well early for us 8 o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment