Tuesday 24 May 2016

Gaffs and gaffas.

Spoke a bit to soon about the Bimini, we discovered a potential chafing issue with the back stays that needed sorting out. I had made a temporary fix that hopefully Oskar could make permanent. He came down to measure up for our cover and will return on Friday when we can discuss modifications. Even now it makes the cockpit a much more pleasant place to be when the suns out. We are very pleased. It also seems to be a perfect place to mount a couple of solar panels.


Obviously this work was going to delay us again but before I could get too upset about this I managed to lose my glasses overboard, again! A quick call to the insurers was followed by a visit to the optician, luckily as in most things there is one very close to the marina. With the help of Eva the. Very helpful optometrist ( I now carry my prescription with me ) I chose a replacement pair and opted for sunglasses for my two for one offer. Ever the optimist!
That seemed to be that so we settled in for a lazy weekend. This turned out to coincide with a terrible weather forcast and we enjoyed a fabulous lightning display on Saturday night, the sky was lit up from side to side with sheet lightening every minute or so, spectacular, Lynne thought it was better than a fireworks display. We then had torrential rain overnight.
The following day was sunny but still very windy, possibly gusting 40 knots in the bay. Our neighbours who are very keen racers went out for a sail for an hour or so and came back with their spinnaker and mainsail in tatters. Someone once said that yacht racing was like standing under a cold shower ripping up £50 notes, probably true......
We decided when the wind eventually dropped a little to cross the river to Portugalete to refamiliarise ourselves with the riverbank. There had been a festival that we had missed however the houses and streets were still decorated.


We made our way up to the church.


Then decended back down the steep streets towards the river and the very attractive tourist information building.


We then felt the need for a coffee, we are both wondering how many years it would take us to have a coffee in every bar and cafe.......we average a new one every few days.


Lynne had been feeling a little below par but seemed to be on the mend.


I was quite relieved that Lynne was feeling better as I had finalised the plans for the spinnaker pole control lines and after a trip to the chandlers to get yet more rope Lynne set to work on the vital splices required in the ends.


As usual these were beautifully done, it takes an inordinate amount of patience to tease the core out from double braid rope, not dissimilar to peeling an orange in your pocket, Lynne is becoming an expert with splicing fids and needles.


At the moment workmen are doing some reinforcing work on the breakwater we shelter behind and I noticed that there was a diver doing some underwater welding ( how hard must that be! )
I cheekily asked Alvero if he would speak to the diver and see if he would have a look for my glasses which he agreed to do once they had finished welding. Sure enough the diver swam around to us ( probably easier than walking ) and in halting Spanish I told him where they had dropped in nearly a week before.


The divers airline was attached to a compressor on the breakwater and his mate simply threw it out from the top and it fell into the water just in his reach, impressive. Once attached to an air supply the search began, I didn't hold out much hope as the weekend weather had battered us about a bit and I imagined there had been quite a bit of movement down below.


Within five minutes the diver surfaced with my glasses in his hand. Many thanks and a few euro beer vouchers and I gave the specs to Lynne to get into fresh water quickly. I am very grateful to the diver and his mate and to my regret I failed to get either of their names.


I now have two spare pairs on order, just in case.........

No comments:

Post a Comment