Friday 23 October 2015

Three poems by Robert Frost

One of my favourite poets is Robert Frost. Poetry is not fashionable these days, but as it is coming up to my birthday I wanted to share a very few that have a great meaning for me, rather than attempt to explore the metaphysical juxtaposition of imagery, I leave them for you the reader. Certainly, two are more well known now, than when I first read them, but I make no apologies for that.

1. Neither out far nor in deep

The people along the sand
All turn and look one way.
They turn their back on the land.
They look at the sea all day.

As long as it takes to pass
A ship keeps raising its hull; 
The wetter ground like glass
Reflects a standing gull

The land may vary more; 
But wherever the truth may be- 
The water comes ashore,
And the people look at the sea.

They cannot look out far.
They cannot look in deep.
But when was that ever a bar
To any watch they keep? 



2. The road not taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
and sorry I could not travel both
and be one traveller, long I stood
and looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent on the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
and having perhaps the better claim,
because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
had worn them about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
in leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, keep the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.


3. Nothing gold can stay


Natures first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leafs a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment