Wednesday 24 June 2015

Wind generators, the final chapter!

We had been putting this off quite successfully or a few days but at last we decided the time had come to grasp the nettle.
The basic plan as it was still a little bouncy out on the moorings at Mylor Yacht Harbour was just to start by dismantling the wind generator from its mast at the stern of the boat. Every boat that passed left us swaying in its wake and  I'm afraid some profanity was occasioned.
However once I had taken off the blades and slackened the set screws holding the head into the stainless mast and lifted the head bodily into my grasp wobbling at the top of our telescopic ladder I was struck by the fact that the wiring didn't look right. I had seemingly wired the turbine live into the ground or earth.  I could have kicked myself! How on earth had I done that? 
We carefully reassembled the generator wiring it correctly and this time cleared the holes for the through bolts to hold the head on. Proper Job.
We reconnected the battery bank and switched the stop switch to RUN.
Hey Presto........amps registering on the ammeter, it was light winds but still a couple of amps registered.


So after days of worry it all suddenly, was fixed........
This called for a celebration, however Lynne was insisting on a shower, so loaded up we went ashore and showered. We then walked along the roads towards Mylor Bridge completely missing the footpath we walked along the road about a mile or so before we walked past a parked car with a couple on the phone who bobbed out and asked us if we needed a lift. We agreed and they dropped us in the pub car park. How nice!
The pub turned out to be a bit of a find, initially it appeare to be a local, everyone was very friendly, particularly the land lady " you alright my darlings "
Out of a clear blue sky, half the pub began to sing............in perfect harmony, I was cheeky and filmed a wee bit, a particularly relevant tune.


The walk back was ' interesting' we only got lost once, I think........

No comments:

Post a Comment