Friday 6 February 2015

Inheritance

A few weeks ago as is my usual habit I messaged Dark Tarns previous owner with yet another small enquiry as to the ins and outs of our boat. At this point it is important to understand that boats are one offs, a never to be repeated collection of fudges fits and fixes. A bit like people in that they are all, with the exception of mass produced AWBs, ( average white boats ) unique. Hence the calls to Chris, he was if you like Dark Tarns second father, responsible for the best part of twenty years of modifications and improvements. The particular enquiry regarded the spinnaker pole up haul arrangement. A not crucial enquiry but really a chance for a chat. My text was not answered.
  Wandering back along the Quays last night I was pondering Chris's lack of a reply and I decided to be very rude and phone him up.
  I was surprised to be speaking to a stranger who happened to be in Chris's house, of course it wasn't a stranger but Chris's brother.
  Chris had become ill around the first of January with a recurrent bout of an up until then dormant chest infection. He had spent the remaining time in hospital and died on Saturday evening, that would be the 1st of February.
   I was speaking to Chris's brother while looking at Dark Tarn, speaking of Dark Tarn, explaining that we were the new owners. He remembered Chris speaking of me, and our delivery trip, he then went on to explain how Chris had put so much of himself into the boat, I could only agree then looking at our boat sitting calmly at rest, I wondered how much of her had died along with Chris. I quickly realised that far from that, Chris lived in every small lined up screw head and the very fabric of her. He would forever be a part of her story.
Chris Hall, a lovely man and a beautiful human being. Chief scientist, wonderful fastidious custodian of Dark Tarn. We will miss you.
A part of you will forever voyage with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment