Friday 18 July 2014

Largs


Finally got here to get the new sails fitted, popped in to Saturn sails to see John, "anything you need me to do?" " no Phil just take the old sails off and I'll see you in the morning" could I get the genoa down? No I could not, was it stuck in the foil? had the Hilliard jumped a sheave? No option but to head up the mast before John or Graham arrived and see what was what.
Lynne and I have developed a technique whereby I can climb the mast using a mast ladder (this bit was easy as we had taken off the mainsail, the mast ladder runs in the mast rack for the main) she isn't strong enough to winch me up so I climb and she winches up a bosons chair at the same time. This means when I'm at the appropriate height I just need to sit in the chair and Lynne can support my weight on a winch.
The news from the masthead was not good, the halliard had not only jumped the sheave but had partially crushed it, this would need a rigger ( sometimes referred to as " mast monkeys")
Luckily Dark Tarn has a spare for most things and that includes genoa halliards so once I had freed the halliard and dropped the old sail we were in business.


The new main has 5 full length battens and three reefs the third being very deep, Dark Tarn has an inner forestay whose sole function is to carry one of the two storm jibs, let's call them storm and the tiny spitfire ( hurricanes only!)
The genoa is 130% as opposed to the old 150% monster. John has also made us a cruising chute or Gennaker for light downwind work, this will be flown from the new bowsprit.
Graham measured up for the last thing which is the quick drop lazy jack system which will be fitted next Thursday
In the meantime Lynne and I will be exploring the Kyles of Bute and upper Loch Fyne and hopefully getting to grips with Dark Tarns new rig.
Finally a few pics of Largs.......


If you are interested in ancient history the pencil monument balanced on Lynne's head is the sight of the famous battle with the Vikings at which they got their arses kicked by the locals, they are absurdly proud of this fact in Largs!




No comments:

Post a Comment